Thursday, March 12, 2009

Thing #6

1. Do you think using Google Docs can improve your productivity?
I read the article that discussed marking papers using google documents and came away rather conflicted as to whether or not it would improve productivity. Also, the article would probably best apply to english teachers. While I do assign essays periodically, because of time restraints, I do not have them submit drafts that are reviewed by myself prior to the final paper being handed in. The writer also commented that time is an issue: it seems tht it takes more time to correct/give feedback on papers through this method than the tradisional method. The author also felt that because the feedback was immediate, that it benefited the students. I think that the more one works with this tool and learns how to organize the marked v. ummarked papers, etc. that the benefits would outweigh the costs.

2. Tell us some ways you have used google docs to collaborate with others.
I think this is a good tool that I am glad to know about. It seems pretty straight forward and makes a lot of sense when students are working together on a project. I have introduced google docs to a few classes this year. I feel that it has helped them create presentations with more ease than the traditional methods (emailing back and forth.) I have not used it individually to collaborate with others, however. I need to play around with this so that when I assign future projects sctudens can benefit more and I can provide some feedback during the process of creating the document. There are some tips for teachers on this "Thing" that I am going to print off and review for later use.

3. Have you participated in a Wiki? Tell us about it.
The only wiki I have participated in is this one for the MILI class. I honestly didn't know what a wiki was before taking this class.

4. Have you created a wiki for group use? Why? How did it go?
Rachel Harvieux and I created on several months back to give the social studies department a forum to discuss issues together. We did use it for a few weeks, but eventually reverted back to emailing each other, so I would have to say that it didn't work out as well as planned.

1 comment:

Karen said...

I think it is great that you two tried the wiki ... you probably planted seeds. A huge advantage to communicating on the wiki is that everything is archived immediately whereas email is typically lost. Plus, if you have the settings set as such, everyone still gets email updates about what has been added to the wiki. Thanks for sharing!